Sunday, May 06, 2007

Funambulist

Digliadation----> Strife. Some words have very powerful meaning. Some people's words just don't strike people as much because they're sarcastic all the time. I try to do the latter, but it seems that everytime I try to be sarcastic, it sort of backfires and everyone thinks that I want the end of the world to come sooner.

Right I think I'll start with the serious topic, since it just hit me.

I've always wondered what is it about university life that is different from college (in Malaysia) and why is it that people "grow up" in overseas countries when they get older. Well since living in IH, I've been presented with all sorts of new things, and everything's so far so good, I guess. However, after talking to my dad, I've been sternly reminded that the world, (no matter how much fun I'm having and how nice my friends have been to me so far), still cannot be taken for granted and once again, the fact that "the world doesn't owe you a favor just because you're a good person" hits me hard in the face. If you know me well enough, I do tend to look into the future a bit and start doing a little planning of my own, whether it's studies, or play, or even now, planning a relationship. And seeing that the 1 month holiday is round the corner (for me at least) I've just been able to tell the difference between :

Taking care of myself in International House

and

Taking care of myself in an overseas country where there you have no real support

And I'm not just talking about the cooking and the cleaning and the tidying up your room difference. I used to think that I was only moving up a level from managing my "health, studies and fun" up to managing my "health, studies, life, friends, money, clothes and time". It seems that I have left out one very very important element that has yet to test me, and that is, I guess, independence. Technically, I still depend on IH to provide food, and shelter. When I was in Malaysia, I was really, really afraid of living overseas, not just because I'd have to cook and clean by myself,(I'd pick it up later anyway), it's because I have no real fallback if I get in trouble somehow. Like there's no reset button on the Playstation. Every single move has to be watched, and I suppose now that living in IH won't be likely for the June/July holidays, it will be very very hard for me to adapt to life without taking anything for granted.

But for now, I have 3 assignments to concentrate on. I can't think about that yet.

On a lighter note, autumn is here. Leaves are turning red, just like in the cartoons that I used to watch as a kid.


Can't really see from here though, but it's mighty cold.

Cafe is also over. For those who don't know, Cafe is a charity even organised by IH to raise funds to donate to a surgeon organisation who does surgeries for kids. Poor them. The point is, people are paying 70bucks just to watch us, so we have to be that good.


You just can't beat that. Without my specs, I look so scary, I gave myself a shock first time I looked in the mirror. This is for Thriller by the way.

Me as a zombie and Naomi as Marilyn Monroe. She had 9 different costumes to wear that night. Cool right.

Almost any event has an afterparty. And afterparty means people getting drunk. And me, being completely sober, had to drag a 100kg friend all the way up to his room together with some very very helpful friends of mine.

From left: Rohan, Naomi, Li Wen, Pat, Dinusha, and me the cameraman!!! =)

Right. A few years back, I went to Torquay with the family, and I had the best, best ice-cream at a little town called Lancelin, and now, I've finally found the legend again...

Magnum peppermint. I so want it again.

See you guys next post.

No comments: